Hire A Top Class Real Estate Agent Who Will Invest In Your Future
Thornhill Real Estate, Vaughan Thornhill Woods, Dufferin Hill Valleys of Thornhill Listings Sales Solds and Prices
Thornhill Real Estate, Vaughan
Including Thornhill Woods, Dufferin Hill and the Valleys of Thornhill
Information on Schools, Listings, Prices and Schools
Walkscore Moving north from the city
Thornhill (2006 population 106,394) is a community in the Greater Toronto Area of Southern Ontario, Canada, located on the northern border of the city of Toronto. Once a municipal village, Thornhill is now a community and postal designation geographically split into two municipalities along Yonge Street, the city of Vaughan to the west and the town of Markham to the east. According to the 2001 Census, the population of Thornhill-Vaughan was 56,361, and the population of Thornhill-Markham was 47,333.
Thornhill's growth since the 1960s and 1970s has been largely connected to its location bordering what is now the City of Toronto. Large housing developments, particularly beginning in the 1980s with such projects as the Tannenbaum family's Spring Farm area near Bathurst and Clark. Beth Avraham Yoseph of Toronto, a large synagogue named after developer and benefactor Joseph Tannenbaum, is an example of an innovative twist on the "anchor tenant" approach adopted by some residential developers.
Growth has continued apace. For instance, an "uptown" village denoted as Thornhill Town Centre, is being developed at the corner of Bathurst and Centre Street, forming a continuous line of development north from the Promenade Shopping Centre also near Bathurst and Clark, whose massive parking lot is dotted by an increasing number of condominium buildings and stand-alone retail plazas.
The territory thought to constitute Thornhill has recently begun to expand northward in Thornhill-Vaughan, particularly west of Bathurst, due to the marketing initiatives of residential developers. A new area called "Thornhill Woods" was developed between Highway 7, Rutherford, Bathurst, and Dufferin. Another planned development, "Upper Thornhill Estates", extends well to the north of Major Mackenzie. In 2008 the City of Vaughan held a groundbreaking ceremony for the North Thornhill Community Centre, a new community centre to serve this population which is slated to open in 2010.
However, it should be noted that the area being labelled as "Upper" or "North" Thornhill is more traditionally part of Maple, another former village converted to a community when the Township of Vaughan was converted to a town. Other developments taking place in these new areas include Eagle Hills/Mackenzie Chase/Thornberry Woods at Dufferin and Major Mackenzie. Coronation and Roxborough is being developed at Upper Bathurst between Rutherford Road and Major Mackenzie. The Vaughan planning area that includes (East Maple), (Thornhill/Maple), (Upper Thornhill/Maple) and (Thornhill Woods) is expected to grow substantially over the next few years. This area is known as the "Carrville District".
Thornhill has been a community for years though the greatest growth has happened over the past 20 years. We have seen this community grow into one of the most sought after areas in the GTA. Thornhill has a mixture of Luxury and Estate properties, townhouses, semis and condominiums. The reason people flock to Thornhill is the well priced homes and close proximity to Toronto. Thornhill is also known for being a wonderful place to raise families with excellent programs from sports to the arts to community.
Transportation is simple having many highways in all directions at your doorstep and public transportation will take you all directions with quick bussing to Toronto.
Thornhill is a community part of both Vaughan and Markham and is known for its strong community roots. If you are looking for a community outside of Toronto but offers everything in raising a family Thornhill is the community for you.
- Stephen Lewis Secondary School, established in 2006, rank
- Thornhill Secondary School, established in 1955, rank
- Thornlea Secondary School, established in 1969, rank
- Vaughan Secondary School, established in 1989, rank
- Westmount Collegiate Institute, established in 1996, rank
- Bakersfield Public School, established in 2003
- Baythorn Public School
- Bayview Glen Public School
- Bayview Fairways Public School
- Brownridge Public School
- Carrville Mills Public School, established in 2007
- Charlton Public School
- Doncrest Public School
- E.J. Sand Public School
- German Mills Public School
- Glen Shields Public School
- Henderson Avenue Public School
- Herbert H. Carnegie Public School
- Johnsview Village Public School
- Julliard Public School
- Louis Honoré Fréchette Public School, established in 1991
- Roberta Bondar Public School, established in 2008
- Rosedale Heights Public School
- Stornoway Cresent Public School
- Thornhill Public School
- Thornhill Woods Public School, established in 2005
- Ventura Park Public School, established in 1999
- Westminster Public School, established in 1983
- Willowbrook Public School
- Woodland Public School
- Yorkhill Elementary School
- St. Elizabeth Catholic High School, established in 1987
- St. Joseph the Worker
- St. Robert Catholic High School
- St. Anthony Catholic Elementary School
- St. Michael Catholic Academy
- St. Luke Catholic Elementary School
- Bishop Scalabrini Catholic Elementary School
- Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto
- Eitz Chaim Day School
- Leo Baeck Day School
- Netivot HaTorah Day School
- Cheder Chabad
- Or Haemet Sephardic School
- Ohr Menachem Sunday School
Community Features in Thornhill Woods, Dufferin Hill and The Valleys of Thornhill
Restaurants click here
Community Centres click here
Daycares click here
Medical click here
Shopping click here